Contents of the competition
The NPO Asian Institute of Low Carbon Design (AILCD) is pleased to invite students from all over the world to take part in the 9th AILCD International Student Design Competition.
The theme of this year is “Less is MOji – REboot the City”.
The competition addresses the problem of urban shrinkage in the Mojiko area in Kitakyushu. The competition asks the students to re-design the urban landscape and to make a proposal for a low carbon urban project within this area. Urban shrinkage should be considered as a real problem for targeted area and the city of Kitakyushu.
Mojiko area, in the east of Kitakyushu (Japan)
NPO Asian Institute of Low Carbon Design, The University of Kitakyushu (Japan)
Less is MOji – REboot the City
Multidisciplinary teams of Graduate (Master and PhD students) and Undergraduate students from Architecture, Landscape, Civil Engineering and related disciplines are accepted. Team and individual entries are accepted. Only one project may be submitted per person or per team.
You can choose the whole area of Mojiko or only one specific part, for example 2 or 3 sites within the same competition site area as the site for your proposal.
All proposals should contain one or more of below features:
– urban shrinkage
– low carbon city concept
– overall sustainable concept
– green space design
– usage of renewable energy systems
– sustainable transport systems
– connection to the surrounding area
Jury Chairman – Prof. Bart Dewancker, The University of Kitakyushu (Japan)
– Arch. Zhu Wang, Prof. Zhejiang University (China)
– Prof. Yue Fan, Dalian University of Technology (China)
– Prof. Dian Zhou, Xian Jiaotong University (China)
– Prof. Yiyin Tsai, Chung Hua University (Taiwan)
– Arch. Mochamad Donny Koerniawan, Institut Teknologi Bandung (Indonesia)
– Arch. Fritz Akhmad Nuzir, Bandar Lampung University (Indonesia)
– Arch. Tanaphoom Wongbumru, Rajamangala University of Technology Thanyaburi (Thailand)
– Prof. Hiroatsu Fukuda, The University of Kitakyushu (Japan)
20 May 2019 Competition announcement, registration starting date
1 November 2019 Registration deadline
11 November 2019 Closing date for proposal submissions
13 December 2019 Announcement winning proposals (Students of the winning projects are
invited to participate in the International Conference and Workshop “Less is MOji – REboot the City”, held from 15 February until 1 March 2020 in Kitakyushu, Japan)
End February 2020 Award Ceremony: at the International Conference and Workshop “Less is MOji – REboot the City”, held from 15 February until 1 March 2020 in Kitakyushu, Japan)
Feb. – March 2020 Exhibition: All entries will be exhibited during the International Conference and Workshop “Less is MOji – REboot the City”, held from 15 February until 1 March 2020 in Kitakyushu, Japan)
– First Prize: 50,000 Yen and a certificate
– Second Prize: 30,000 Yen and a certificate
– Third Prize: 10,000 Yen and a certificate
– 7 Honorable Mentions: Certificate
For registration, send an e-mail to [email protected], containing;
– names of all participants of your team, individual entries are accepted as well
– name of university including name of faculty and/or department
– e-mail address of the team’s head student
After your registration is completed, you will receive a registration number which must be integrated in all boards of your final submission.
No registration fees are required for the competition.
The official language of the competition is English.
– Digital form: 4 (four) A2 panels (JPEG files) and 1 (one) PDF file containing the project statement (A4, 2 pages) in English.
– Panel size: A2 (594mm x 420mm) (landscape format = horizontal orientation)
– The boards should contain project concept, diagrams, plans, sections, perspectives, and photographs, all in English.
– Entries must contain the registration digit in the lower right corner on all boards (18pt).
– No names of participants or affiliations are allowed on the boards.
– Proposals shall be sent by email to [email protected] and one e-mail should not exceed 10MB (e-mails over 10Mb can’t be retrieved). If the size of the e-mail exceeds 10MB send the files by separated e-mails.
– Proposals are not accepted after closing date for proposal submissions.
– File name: the registration number followed by page number 01, 02, 03 and 04, and 05 for the project statement, ex. LMRC19001-01, LMRC19001-02, etc.
Download the information related to this competition here.